Rough and Tumble is located on 100 acres of established native bush on the last private holding on the mighty Mokihinui, a wilderness river in the northwest corner of New Zealand’s South Island. We are:
- At the Northern trailhead of The Old Ghost Road
- 45 minutes / 50km from Westport
- 5 hours 15 min / 385km from Christchurch
- 4 hours 45 min / 340km from Picton
- 4 hours / 275km from Nelson
- 1 hour 20 min / 75km from the Heaphy Track (Kohaihai)
- 45 minute flight from Wellington, then 50 minute / 58km drive from Westport Airport
- 5-minute drive / 10-minute bike ride / 4km from the Seddonville Hotel
Rough and Tumble Bush Lodge is an easy 50km drive north of Westport. From State Highway 67, just before the long one-way bridge across the Mokihinui River, turn right toward Seddonville. Proceed straight through the town (straight past the blue Seddonville pub – do not turn right here), and straight past the farmhouse at the end of town. You will be on a gravel road for 1.7km before reaching a concrete bridge/ford at Burke Creek. Cross the creek and follow the signs to the lodge, 800m away. Allow 45 minutes to comfortably reach the lodge from Westport.
In case of very heavy rain: On rare occasions, the concrete ford at Burke Creek driveway is temporarily impassable. Please don’t take your vehicle through if the water is overtopping the concrete. There is limited parking on the Seddonville side of the ford, and a footbridge just downstream for safe access. If necessary, we can meet you there and assist with luggage, etc. All very easy, and part of the Rough and Tumble experience.